Senior Medical Science Liaison
The Senior Medical Science Liaison will be responsible for integrating scientific expertise and knowledge with brand strategies to ensure successful implementation of Sumitomo Pharma Oncology’s marketed and emerging product portfolio. This will be fulfilled mainly through the development of excellent working relationships with key opinion leaders and regional clinicians of influence. There will be additional leadership responsibilities in support of special projects and customer interface.
- Identify key national and regional oncology thought leaders and priority customers, build and maintain advocacy with these individuals, and function as their primary scientific contact with Sumitomo Pharma Oncology.
- Participate in the collection and exchange of scientific/technical information important to Sumitomo Pharma Oncology’s development efforts (serve as a field-based extension of the in-house clinical team).
- Assist in the management of relationships between key opinion leaders and corporate product teams, as well as provide education of priority customers on research and development projects.
- Accumulate key competitive information to aid the clinical and marketing teams in drug/brand development.
- Identify, initiate, coordinate, evaluate and monitor investigator-sponsored studies intended to support the clinical and scientific strategy of Sumitomo Pharma Oncology products.
- Help develop and manage to timelines publication plans of investigator-sponsored studies.
- Assist in the identification, evaluation and engagement of potential investigators for Sumitomo Pharma Oncology corporate trials.
- Assist the clinical trials team, as needed, in the ongoing support and communication with investigators on Sumitomo Pharma Oncology corporate trials.
- Develop key advocates as speakers to support Sumitomo Pharma Oncology products and strategies.
- Assist in the development of, and participate in, regional advisory boards and medical education programs.
- Contribute scientific and clinical expertise to the development and execution of commercial educational activities.
- Provide clinical resources for programs supporting sales/sales training and marketing efforts and professional services.
- Represent Sumitomo Pharma Oncology at major oncology meetings and conferences, including meetings of the NCI Cooperative research groups.
- Maintain clinical and technical expertise in the area of oncology through review of the scientific literature and attendance at key scientific meetings.
- Leads assigned projects within the MSL organization, including:
- Spearheading strategic initiatives within the MSL organization.
- Delivering updates and presentations to the Medical Affairs senior management.
- Delivering scientific/clinical presentations to payor groups and other managed market customers.
- Representing MSL team on select clinical / medical study teams.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 3 – 5 years previous MSL experience in oncology/hematology required.
- Advanced degree in medical science (MD, PharmD, or PhD) is strongly preferred. Candidates without an advanced degree are required to have at least 7 years of industry MSL experience, and 8 – 12 years overall related experience.
- Patient care clinical experience in the therapeutic area (including sub-specialty) preferred.
- Strong project leadership and management history required.
- Ability to efficiently manage time and priorities.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to compile and disseminate information to others in a cohesive fashion to assure a clear understanding of project status and direction.
- Solid understanding of drug development and life-cycle development of a product.
- Ability to cultivate and maintain relationships with thought leaders and to establish trust through the consistent demonstration of scientific expertise and satisfactory follow-through to requests from thought-leaders; the ability to work effectively with key decision makers, both within and outside the Company.
- Excellent communicator, skilled at diplomacy and capable of effectively combining science and relationship building.
- Ability to understand and translate external customer and/or internal client needs into effective decisions and to drive results and strive for continuous improvement with high performance in the face of adversity a must.
- Willingness to travel >50% of the time within the domestic US.
The base salary hiring range for this position is expected to be $155,300 to $209,900 annually. The base salary offered is negotiable and potentially exceeds the hiring range depending on factors such as the candidate’s relevant knowledge, skills, training, certifications and industry-based experience for the role. Our total rewards package also includes the opportunity for merit-based salary increases, short and long-term incentive plan participation, eligibility for our 401(k) plan, medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances, and car allowance. Our robust time-off policy includes accrual of 15 vacation days in first year, 13 paid holidays plus additional time off for a shut-down period during the last week of December, access to sick time and our tuition reimbursement program.